OverDrive eBooks, Audiobooks and Video Streaming
Questions and Answers
- What is OverDrive?
- OverDrive is the largest of our three providers of downloadable library eBooks and audiobooks. OverDrive has a separate website and catalog.
- How do I know if my e-reader is compatible with OverDrive?
- Check your device’s name against the list of OverDrive compatible devices.
- How long may I check out my eBooks on OverDrive?
- You may choose to check eBooks out for either 7 or 14 days. The checkout period can be modified in your OverDrive account settings.
Enter your card number and click Sign In.
Click the Settings link on the right hand side.
Click 14 days next to eBook.
- How many eBooks may I check out at a time on OverDrive?
- You may check out up to six e-materials at a time. This total includes both digital audio-books and eBooks. For example, if you check out 4 eBooks, then you may also check out two audiobooks. These limits do not apply to physical items you can check out from the library (DVDs, books, music CDs, etc.)
- Can I renew eBooks on OverDrive?
- Yes. The option to renew will be available three days before the title is scheduled to expire. It will be located to the right over the cover image on your bookshelf. Only one renewal is available and it will only be available if no one else is waiting for the item.
- Can I return my eBooks early on OverDrive?
- Each device has its own way of accomplishing this task. If you have an iPad, Nook, or smartphone, you can do this within the OverDrive app. If you have a Kindle, you can do this through your Amazon account. See above tutorials for details.
All other e-readers do this through Adobe Digital Editions. From the Bookshelf view, right click the cover image. Choose Return borrowed item.
- Is there any way to add my name to a waiting list for an eBook on OverDrive?
- Yes! If you see an eBook with a link to Join the Waiting List, then there are people already waiting for this title. Click that link to add your name to the list. Fill out the form with your e-mail address and click on submit. You are allowed up to 4 holds at a time on e-materials.
- How will I know when my request has arrived on OverDrive?
- You will receive an e-mail when the book is ready for check out. You will have 72 hours to check the book out from the catalog.
- How do I change my e-mail address for my OverDrive waiting list?
- Visit http://pplc.lib.overdrive.com
Click Sign In.
Next to each title, click Edit.
Enter your new e-mail address twice.
Repeat this process for all items on your waiting list.
- How do I check out the eBook I requested on OverDrive?
- Sign in to OverDrive.
Click on My Waiting List.
Click the Add to Cart option under the cover of the book.
Proceed to checkout the item as described above.
- What is a wish list and how does it differ from a waiting list on OverDrive?
- The Wish List is for items you would like to download sometime in the future but are not interested in checking out at this moment. The Waiting List is for items that you have on reserve. Your Wish List can contain as many items as interest you, while you are restricted to four items at a time on your Waiting List.
- How do I know what eBooks I've read on OverDrive? Do you keep a list?
- If you're using the OverDrive app, it will keep a history, but this information is not a permanent part of your account. If you uninstall the app or use a different device, you will no longer have access to this list.
- Do you have any instructions on how to download OverDrive eBooks?
- Use the tutorial above specific to your device. Additional information is available from OverDrive at http://help.overdrive.com, on the Amazon website for Kindle, the Barnes and Noble website for Nook, and the Adobe Digital Editions website. We also offer in person e-reader assistance at our Computer Help sessions at all of the Clearwater Public Library System locations. Check http://bit.ly/cplscomputers for listings of class times.
- Where are the instructions for my Sony Reader and OverDrive?
- The instructions for using the Nook Black and White should be almost exactly the same. Please let us know if you need additional assistance.
- I'd like to request an eBook you don't have. How do I do this?
- Contact us with any requests and we'll do our best to acquire a copy for you. Please be aware that not all books are made available by publishers for library lending. Some eBooks are available on one service but not another. Be sure to check our 3m and Axis 360 collections for other available eBooks.
- I accidentally downloaded a Kindle version of an eBook when I wanted the ePub. Help!
- While we can't convert the eBook to the correct format, we will be able to get it off your account for you. You can do this yourself if you have an Amazon account (even if you don't have a Kindle) following the directions above. If you don't have an Amazon account, contact us.
- I'm not receiving my e-mails from OverDrive. What should I do?
- Add email@example.com to your trusted contacts list.
- OverDrive is not accepting my card number. There's an error message telling me to contact the library or that I have a "block". Help!
- Please be sure your account is current and up to date. Library cards expire every three years; at that time, you will need to visit a branch of the Cooperative with proof of current, local residence in a PPLC member district to extend your membership. Fines and fees in excess of $10 will also prohibit access to OverDrive.
- I checked out an "open EPUB" format book. How do I return the book?
- In older versions of OverDrive, this was not possible. If you're unable to return it, try upgrading your app.
- I tried to download something, but now I'm getting Error code 80131500 or 80040812 - "Failed call to fulfill the title".
- E-mail us your library card number and the title of the item. We will reactivate the download for you. This error occurs when there are more than three attempts to download a title. We will email you to confirm the download has been reactivated. Clear your browser's cache and download the title.
- I'm interested in an eBook for my Kindle, but it's only available in ePub format. Why?
- Please let us know if a title that interests you is unavailable in Kindle format and we will contact OverDrive. This issue is usually quickly resolved by OverDrive and Amazon.
- I want to sync my OverDrive accounts on two different mobile devices. How would I do this?
- You'll need to use the same OverDrive account on each device. See the directions on OverDrive's website.