Smaller Text Button Larger Text Button - The Official Website of the City of Clearwater, Florida
Home Information Services Activities Government Employment Site Map Espanol Contact Us


Economic Development and Housing Home

Business Guide Table of Contents

Businesss Guide - Federal and State Tax Reporting Requirements

Is your company a sole proprietorship? Partnership? Do you wish to incorporate? Your particular circumstances will dictate which structure is best for you. See your lawyer or accountant for help.

Federal Tax

Internal Revenue Service
Federal Employee ID Number, employee related tax information. Six to eight weeks for issuing numbers.

Location: 9600 Koger Blvd., St. Petersburg, FL 33702
Phone: 1-800-829-1040

State Tangible Personal Property Tax

The State of Florida taxes individuals, corporations and partnerships on the fair market value of intangible assets, defined to include accounts and notes receivable, investments and stock. Contact the Florida Department of Revenue to determine if you must file an Intangible Personal Property Return.

State Sales Tax

Any business subject to the collection of Sales Tax is required to register with the State and obtain a Sales Tax I.D. number. For forms and assistance contact:

Florida Department of Revenue
By going to the Department of Revenue in person, you can save up to six weeks time when registering for your state tax ID number. In person registrations are issued on a same day basis.

Location: 19337 U.S. Hwy 19 N. Suite 200, Clearwater, FL 33764-3149
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Monday - Friday)
Phone: (727) 538-7400

State Corporate Income Tax

Corporations doing business in Florida and filing Federal income tax returns may be required to file a State income tax. To determine if you must file contact the Florida Department of Revenue.

State Unemployment Insurance Tax, Tax Forms, and Rates

Florida Department of Labor

Location: 2240 Belleair Rd. Clearwater, FL 33764; 2312 Gulf to Bay Blvd., Clearwater, FL 33765
Phone: (727) 538-7208

Workmen's Compensation Insurance

If you own a construction company, or employ four or more persons, you will need worker's compensation insurance.

Location: 9215 N. Florida Ave. Suite 107, Tampa, FL 33604
Phone: (813) 930-7545


The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulates the safety and health of employees at many types of businesses. To help you comply with OSHA requirements at your workplace, you can obtain the regulations pertaining to your type of business. Contact: (813) 626-1177. Length of time for approvals varies by type of business.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration Administration Office

Location: 5807 Breckenridge Parkway, Tampa, FL 33610
Phone: (813) 626-1177

Employment Standards

The Fair Standards Act and information of Federal Hour & Wage regulations can be obtained from:

Department of Labor, Employment Standards
Administration, Wage & Hour Division

Location: 4905 West Laurel, Suite 300, Tampa, FL 33629
Phone: (813) 288-1242

State Fictitious Name Registration

If your business is not incorporated and you use any name other than your own for business purposes, it must be registered. Contact:

Florida Department of State
Attn: Fictitious Name Registration

Mail: P.O. Box 6327, Tallahassee, FL 32314
Phone: 904-438-9000