| Fire & Rescue Home
Fire Protection Systems Review Guidelines
Florida Fire Prevention Code Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
Current Weather Conditions
Fire Hydrant Requirements
- Fire Hydrants: An approved water supply capable of
supplying the required fire flow for fire protection shall be provided
to all premises upon which facilities, buildings, or portions of buildings
are hereafter constructed or moved into the jurisdiction.
- The number and type of fire hydrants and connections to other approved
water supplies shall be capable of delivering the required fire flow
and shall be provided at approved locations.
- No person shall place or keep any post, fence, vehicle, growth, vegetation,
trash, or storage of other materials that would obstruct a fire hydrant
or fire protection appliance and hinder or prevent its immediate use
by fire department personnel. Such fire hydrant or fire protection appliance
shall be maintained readily visible at all times.
- The following clearances shall be maintained for all fire hydrants
and fire protection appliances.
- Fire hydrants and connections to other approved water supplies
shall be accessible to the fire department.
- Hydrants - Clearances of seven feet and six inches (7' 6")
in front of and to the sides of the fire hydrant, with a four foot
(4') clearance to the rear of the hydrant.
- Exception: These dimensions may be reduced by approval of
the Fire Official.
- Fire Protection Appliances – Clearances of seven and one
half feet (7' 6") in front of and to the sides of the appliances.
See Fire Hydrant, Thrust Block Standard in Appendix.
- All required hydrants shall be in addition to any internal sprinkler
or standpipe system serving that development and shall not be
located on the fire line water main service. Except for hydrants
that are located within the right of way of public streets, all hydrants
shall be located at least one hundred feet (100') from any building
except a one story single-family residential building.
- Whenever a proposed development will be required to install one or
more fire hydrants as a condition of approval and the proposed development
will be equipped with an internal fire protection system (fire sprinklers,
standpipes, or both) a fire hydrant shall be located within forty feet
(40'), as measured along a normal access route, of the fire department
connection for such internal system.