Smaller Text Button Larger Text Button - The Official Website of the City of Clearwater, Florida
Home Information Services Activities Government Employment Site Map Espanol Contact Us
City Home > Government > City Departments > Engineering > Stormwater Management > Triploid Grass Carp & Barriers

Engineering Department / Stormwater Management Division

Engineering Department Home

Stormwater Management
Stormwater Maintenance

Stormwater Ordinance & Fee Assessment

Triploid Grass Carp & Barriers
Documents and Publications: Forms and Applications:
City GIS
Engineering Atlas

Invitation to Bid /
City Projects

Engineering Projects

Frequently Asked Questions
Recommended Links

Contact Department

Triploid Grass Carp & Barriers

Image of Grass CarpWhat are Triploid Grass Carp, and what do they do?

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FFWCC), grass carp are fish imported from Asia that control aquatic vegetation. One of the few fish species that eat plants, grass carp can sometimes provide a low-cost, long-term, herbicide-free means of dealing with problem plants in your pond or lake. The designation of "triploid" means they have been genetically altered at hatcheries to prevent spawning in Florida waters.

Should I add a barrier to keep them from spilling into other waters?

According to FFWCC, a barrier may be added to inflows or outflows through which Triploid Grass Carp could escape. However, the City of Clearwater discourages the installation of carp barriers, since these structures may interfere with the city's stormwater system. The city recommends that owners of ponds with inflows or outflows find alternate solutions to controlling pond vegetation, since these structures are known to interfere with stormwater flow or create flooding.

Do I need a permit or approval?

Permits are required to purchase Triploid Grass Carp. While building a barrier is discouraged, you will need written approval from the City of Clearwater’s Engineering Department to add this structure. The Stormwater Management division must approve your plans, materials, and dimensions for your proposed Triploid Grass Carp barrier.

What is the approval process?

To request approval to build a carp barrier, you will need to supply drawings of the proposed barrier clearly indicating all dimensions, types of materials, the method of securing the barrier to the inflow or outflow device, contact information for the owner and a maintenance plan. Contact the City of Clearwater's Engineering Department for permission prior to construction by calling (727) 562-4750.

Who maintains the structure?

If the barrier is approved by the city and is installed, it is the owner's responsibility to finance and maintain the structure. If the barrier is not maintained and interferes with stormwater flow, creates flooding, or causes any other form of damage, the structure will be removed by the city, in order to maintain the continuity of the stormwater system.

How can I learn more?

To learn more about Triploid Grass Carp, visit the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission Web site. To learn about carp barriers and permitting, visit