Four Bridges on Island Way to be Replaced
Four bridges on Island Estates have experienced significant deterioration and were scheduled for replacement. Two bridges are on Island Way (between Skiff Point and Palm Island SE), and two are on Harbor Passage (from Island Way to Snug Island and also Harbor Island).
Minor repairs were made to five additional bridges. Island Way residents can expect traffic to be maintained during this process. Project costs are $3.6 million. Construction began in 2015 and is expected to last through April 2017.
Construction Update as of Oct. 10, 2016:
Work on the Island Estates Bridge reconstruction project is spread between two locations. Both locations (Harbor Passage and Island Way) are within the time frame established by the Engineer of Record and the schedule provided by the contractor.
- Harbor Passage East Bridge
- Installation of the guard rail is complete.
- Phase 1 is complete; traffic has shifted onto the south side of the bridge.
- Geotechnical borings for the drilled shaft locations have been completed.
- Phase II of the drilled shaft foundations is complete.
- Demolition of the bridge is complete.
- Seawall installation is complete.
- Installation of the seawall cap and bridge abutments is complete.
- Bridge deck installation has begun.
- Harbor Passage West Bridge
- Demolition of the bridge deck is complete.
- Seawall installation has begun.
- Island Way Bridges
- Traffic pattern has shifted onto the western bridge.
- Geotechnical borings are complete. The city is awaiting design for drilled shaft depths.
- Island Way northbound bridge has been temporarily paved to reduce the bump for residents of the Island. Milling and resurfacing of this location will be completed at the end of the project.
- Expect mobilization and work to begin on the southbound bridge shortly.
For questions about this or other construction projects in the city of Clearwater, contact the Engineering Department at (727) 562-4750.