Smaller Text Button Larger Text Button - The Official Website of the City of Clearwater, Florida
Home Information Services Activities Government Employment Site Map Espanol Contact Us
City Home > Government > City Departments > Solid Waste > Solid Waste Special Services

Solid Waste

Solid Waste Home

General Services Home

Solid Waste Collection Schedule Finder

Solid Waste Services:
Recycling Services:
Educational Programs

Documents and Publications

Holiday Collection Schedule

Key Phone Numbers


Utility Customer Service

How to Read Your Utility Bill

Recommended Links

Mission Statement

Organizational Chart

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Solid Waste

Solid Waste Special Services

In addition to once a week garbage collection, the Solid Waste Department provides for the collection of yard waste and scrap metal (see Recycling), bulk debris and miscellaneous household items. All such discarded material should be placed at the curb on your trash day, not in your black barrel. It should be placed out no earlier than 24 hours in advance of a scheduled pick-up and should not present a health or safety hazard to the general public.

Place in separates piles as follows:

  • Yard waste
  • Household appliances, steel, aluminum and any other metal products
  • Miscellaneous - furniture, beds, etc. (Small items such as dishes, lamps, clothing, etc., should be bagged or boxed.)

The Solid Waste Department's "Jaws" or grapple truck is equipped with a clam bucket attached to a hydraulically-operated boom with a 400 lb. weight capacity. Its purpose is to collect bulk debris that is too heavy to be picked up by a solid waste worker, or too large for standard rear end loader collection. Debris placed at the curb for collection by this truck should be placed in an area free from obstructions (overhead wires, trees, poles or mailboxes). Logs over 4" in diameter and tree stumps should be kept separate from other yard waste and will be picked up by this "Jaws" truck. Call (727) 562-4920.

Image of Jaws or grabble truck"Jaws" or Grapple Trucks

The Solid Waste Department's trucks are subject to weight limits. Therefore, if you will be generating heavy debris from remodeling or construction work that requires a City permit, please call the Solid Waste Department at (727) 562-4920 for information on our roll-off service.

All debris generated within the City by a yard maintenance contractor (tree surgeon, landscaper or other) must be removed by the contractor and disposed of legally or used by the property owner as mulch or firewood, or other domestic use. -- City Ordinance 6391-99, Sec. 32.282(1). (See Solid Waste Ordinance)