|Green Clearwater Home
City Innovations Showcase 2008
Electronic & Hazardous Waste Disposal
Fertilizer Ordinance for Pinellas County
Green Buildings & Facilities
Green City Certification
Green Lodging & Restaurants
Greenhouse Gas Inventory (PDF)
How to Build Green
Live Greener with Gas
Mayor's Climate Protection Agreement
Pinellas Living Green Expo
Public Service Announcements
Think Green Guide
Live Greener with Gas
Green energy is a term used to describe environmentally-friendly sources of power and energy. Typically, this refers to renewable and non-polluting energy sources. Green energy includes natural processes that can be harnessed with little pollution, and environmentally-friendly natural gas is a leader in the green revolution.
Did you know that nature's cleanest-burning fuel could enhance your lifestyle while increasing the value of your home? Natural gas is the natural choice for homeowners that desire improved air quality, energy efficiency, more comfort and unparalleled reliability.
- Natural gas costs less than electricity for conventional home heating, water heating and cooking.
- Fuel Use Comparision
- All Gas Home
- Appliance Calculator (Excel file)
- The temperature of gas heat at the register is between 110 and 120 degrees Fahrenheit, which warms your home quickly and efficiently.
- Natural gas desiccant systems, which are used for dehumidification, are increasingly popular in the plastics, pharmaceutical, candy, and even recycling industries.
- Natural Gas Videos:
- Most natural gas ranges, water heater and fireplaces operate even during a power outage. The power of natural gas stays on even when the power is out.
- On average, Clearwater Gas natural gas service is interrupted less than 30 seconds per year - a 99.9% service reliability rate.
- When natural gas is consumed directly by the consumer, more than 90% of the energy value is used.
- Natural gas water heaters reheat water about twice as fast as electric models. Tankless water heaters (newest technology) and the most popular unit that Clearwater Gas sells, heats water only when needed. According to the Built Green Association, natural gas is the fuel of choice for water heating, providing total system efficiencies of 80-90%.
- Natural gas provides instant heat with an adjustable temperature that can be controlled on gas cooktops, ranges and thermostats.
- While most electricity in the U.S. comes from burning coal, most new power plants will be fueled by natural gas. Not only are these "combined-cycle" plants faster and less expensive to build, they improve air quality, since natural gas emits less pollution.
- More than 100,000 natural gas vehicles (NGVs) are already on the road in the U.S. helping to fuel a cleaner environment. Locally, Pinellas Transit Authority and Hartline Transportion (Hillsborough) currently operate several compressed natural gas buses.
- Progress Energy's system of electric generation includes more than 21,000 megawatts of capacity at 32 sites in the Carolinas and Florida. The company has a diverse mix of generation resources, including nuclear (35%), coal- and oil-fired (47%), natural gas-fueled (18%) and hydroelectric plants (1%).
- Displacement of about 350,000 electric water heaters with natural gas water heaters would eliminate the need for a 300 MW generation plant in Florida. This elimination would save our environment by achieving a 510,000-ton reduction in CO2 emissions. View the American Gas Foundation's Real Energy Executive Summary.
Natural Gas Facts
- Natural gas in Florida is delivered through four pipelines including Florida Gas Transmission Company (FGT), Gulfstream Pipeline, Southern Pipeline, and Cypress Pipeline.
- Florida is the fourth most populous state in the U.S., and ranks third nationally in total natural gas energy consumption.
- Florida's electric generating capacity is based on a variety of fuels: natural gas represents 39 percent of installed capacity, coal represents 23 percent, and oil represents 24 percent.
- Natural gas is made up primarily of methane; natural gas delivered through pipelines also contains hydrocarbons such as ethane and propane, and other gases such as nitrogen, helium, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide and water vapor.
- Fifty-nine of Florida's 67 counties have natural gas services available for industrial, commercial and residential use.
City of Clearwater Natural Gas Facilities
- Beach Library
- Bright House Networks Field
- Clearwater Beach Recreation Center
- Clearwater Fire Stations (Stations 44-51)
- Countryside Recreation Center
- East Library
- Harborview Center
- Hispanic Outreach Center
- Long Center
- North Greenwood Recreation Center
- Ross Norton Recreation Center
To experience a "greener" home or business, please call Clearwater Gas System at (727) 562-4980 to inquire if natural gas is available in your area or visit our website at clearwatergas.com.
Founded in 1923, Clearwater Gas System is the fourth largest municipal gas system in Florida and ranks 35th out of nearly 1,000 public gas systems in the United States. Clearwater Gas System provides natural and propane gas service to over 19,000 residential and commercial customers in Pinellas and Pasco Counties.
Sources: American Gas Association, American Gas Foundation, Florida Natural Gas Association, Built Green Association, Progress Energy Florida