Smaller Text Button Larger Text Button - The Official Website of the City of Clearwater, Florida
Home Information Services Activities Government Employment Site Map Espanol Contact Us
City Home > News > News Detail

14-17 Radio Shack Would-Be Robber Turns Out To Be Store Employee

2/13/2014 1:13:41 PM

Contact: Rob Shaw

Feb. 13, 2014


Radio Shack Would-Be Robber Turns Out To Be Store Employee

(Mug shot attached, photos from the scene available on CPD Facebook page from


Clearwater Police detectives didn't have to look far to find the man who tried

to rob the Radio Shack at U.S. 19 and Sunset Point Road on Wednesday.

That's because the suspect, 20-year-old Andre Trevor Puskas, works there. And

he showed up for his shift a little more than six hours after the robbery


During the botched robbery, the ski mask-wearing, would-be robber used pepper

spray on an employee. He also tried to shoot her with a stun gun but ended

shooting himself in the hand.

"He didn't plan this very well, nor was he prepared for the unknowns," said

John Brown, a Clearwater Police robbery detective.

The suspect entered the store a little after 9:30 a.m. and showed the victim

that he had a stun gun tucked in his waistband. She dropped to the floor, but

when she moved, he sprayed her in the eyes with pepper spray. She got up and

ran out the front door to an adjacent business. She felt the stun gun pressed

against her back as she tried to get away, but it apparently misfired and got

the suspect's hand instead.

Puskas tried to get out the back door, but it was locked and he didn't have a

key for it. So he, too, had to run out the front door and ran around to the

rear of the store, where he dumped his navy blue ski mask in a Dumpster there.

The store employee thought it was strange that the suspect never said a word

to her, almost like he did not want her to hear his voice. She also took note

of his large physical description - 6 feet 2 inches tall and 280 pounds.

"A 6-foot-2, 280-pound guy is not something you come across every day,"

Detective Brown said.

Detectives had a hunch they would find their man later when 4 o'clock rolled

around. The suspect was a few minutes late because of the rain, but showed up

dutifully for his shift.

"He walked in like nothing had happened," Detective Brown said.

Puskas later admitted to detectives that he tried to rob the store, where he

has worked just since October of last year. He said he needed money to pay for

car insurance and his cell phone bill. The stun gun and pepper spray also were

recovered in his car.

He remains held in the Pinellas County Jail on a count of attempted robbery on

$150,000 bail.


Photo available at
CODE WORD: mediapic